Self Bailing Cockpit in Expedition Wherry

Has anyone experimented with altering the Expedition Wherry's cockpit to make it self bailing?  I am currently (SLOWLY) building a kit exactly as instructed in the manual while thinking of possible cockpit retrofits...

I am curious what others have tried, if anything.

Thanks! 

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Self Bailing Cockpit in Expedition Wherry

I'm thinkig it's not workable. You'd have to raise the center floor to be even with buoyancy tanks (everything above the waterline so water will drain out, not in). Doing that takes away the space for the sliding seat gear, so you'd have to raise that up (nowhere else it can go). That would raise the center of gravity to where you would have a very tippy boat. Look at John rowing below, he's already basically at deck level in the stock boat.

If you want it self-bailing, consider an electric bilge pump.

Laszlo

Maybe install an venturi self bailer in it?   I think these are available as an extra cost option on Alden rowing shells

Keep in mind that venturis don't work unless you're moving.

Laszlo

Yeah, the term "self-bailing" is a bit fuzzy.  Does he mean the water just pours out through holes in the floorboards or are we talking the style that you put into the bottom of lasers that only work when you're ripping along?

Thank you for the responses!  I admit my question was a bit broad--I was casting a wide net with my first post.  Really, I am asking two questions:

1. Has anyone tried redesigning the cockpit to be self bailing when recovering from a capsize?  

2.  Has anyone actually added a bilge pump or Elvstrom/Anderson bailer to an expedition wherry?  I am leaning towards an electric pump since, as Laszlo pointed out, the Elvstrom requires one be moving.  Although entertaining to ponder, I think scuppers are out of the question...

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.