Peeler Outboard Mounting/pulley/bumpers

Hi my name is Satya Advani and I am nearing the finish of my peeler skiff build. I have a 15 HP Mercury 4-stroke for the boat but it is unclear to me as to how to properly mount the engine without damaging wood and inviting water into the transom. (Steel plate?)

Next, if anyone has put any downriggers or a small pulley arm for crab pots on the boat please let me know how that was done.

Furthermore, without cleats, how do you hang bumbers off the side for docking?Maybe some sort of foam-wrapped caribiner clip to go onto the spacered inwale... I don't necessarily want to attach cleats to the beautiful rails but if someone has done it successfully, (while retaining good looks) let me know. 

Thanks!

Satya

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Outboard Mounting/pulley/bumpers

Satya,

When I bought the outboard for my Peeler Skiff, I paid the dealer to mount it on the boat. If I remember correctly, Yamaha had rules requiring that, They were very experienced and did a beautiful job. They did use a metal plate on one side of the transom when they through-bolted the motor and they thoroughly bedded the plate and bolts with the appropriate marine compound. I was very pleased with their work and have returned to them every year to service the motor.

Cheers,

Dick

Forgot to mention that I cut 4-inch sections of dowel (small enough to fit thhrough the holes between the inwale spacers). I drilled a hole in each one large enough for eighth-inch braided nylon line and tied a stopper knot (bigger than the hole in the dowel) on one end of the line and tied off the other to a bumper. Now I can slide the dowel down through a spacered inwale hole and let the bumper hang outboard. Gives me a lot of potential attachment points for my two bumpers.

Cheers,

Dick

Thanks!

When your dealer mounted your engine, did the steel plate only sit on the interior of the transom or was there something to prevent damage on the top and outside as well? I'm 16 and still learning a lot about everything boats (;  

I just did the final attatchment of the spray rails; pretty fun step.

Thomas makes the Pocket Puller, which is great and fits in the oarlock.  The extender is a nice option too.  I've only used this on a small aluminum jonboat, but the concept is the same.

Thomas Machine & Foundry Pocket Puller

Satya,

The mounting plate is only on the inside of the boat. I've included pictures so you can see for yourself.

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.