Forward Bulkhead on Jimmy skiff

Hi everyone, I am about to install the deck on my Jimmy Skiff, but I'm worried about the bulkhead being too high on the port side.  I wasn't able to get the bulkhead exactly center, and maybe because of that, it is higher on the port side than starboard.

I am worried that if I put the deck on now, there will be a gap between the bulkhead and the deck, leaving an opening for water to get it.  I was thinking of planing it down, but didn't want to screw up the radiused curve of the bulkhead top.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Forward Bulkhead on Jimmy skiff

Here is a picture https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=20170130_123948.jpg

Here is the port side bulkhead https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=20170130_123903.jpg

Austin,

I can't access your pictures, but you would like the bulkhead to fit well with the deck. You are correct that you should definately plane or sand down the bulkhead so everything fits properly. As far as the curve of the deck, that is fairly arbitrary. You might consider flexing a batten from rail to rail and drawing a new curve on your bulkhead. Clamp the batten so that the peak of the curve comes out in the center of the boat.

Kits are great, but sometimes one must fall back to traditional boatbiulding!

Hope this is helpful. 

Have fun with the process,

Joel

Thanks for your reply Joel.  I will plane the bulkhead down.  

I hate to bring up another problem of mine, but I noticed than when I dry-fit the mast partner doubling plate on the underside of the deck, it sticks out from underneath the deck an inch.  The deck overhangs the bulkhead 4.5" - which appears to be correct according to the plans, but the doubling plate is 5.5", hence the 1" overshoot.  Did I cut the deck too short (it extends 34" from the bow), or can I just cut the doubling plate down to come flush to the deck?

View from under deck:

And overhead view:

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.