repairing busted rail

Hi all,

The latest storm to blow through must have gotten a really strong gust into our car port. My skerry was leaned against the wall and was flipped over. A 2 foot plus section of the rail split off from the impact with a brick column. Pics included. 

It came off in one piece and pretty much fits back into place. I'm thinking I can epoxy it back on and put a few countersunk wood screws in from the interior along with a bunch of clamps to secure it again. I could then fill in any remaining gaps with epoxy, sand, and refinish.

I am not worried about it looking pretty (it will add character!) but I'd like to make sure this approach won't have any adverse structural problems down the road. Can't imagine replacing the whole rail.

Thanks!

David 

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: repairing busted rail

Didn't include my question! Does this sound like a good approach? Other recommendations on the repair?

Thanks,

David  

Yes, you have it about right. Use thickened epoxy  with cab-o-sil. That will help with any small gaps. Of course, if the piece doesn't fit that well, you will need cut some smooth surfaces on the boat and existing rail and make a new piece.

have fun,

Joel

David,

Looking at your pictures I'm concerned about the black delaminated plywood  forward of the broken rail. It looks as if you've had some serious water intrusion to the point where the plywood plies were no longer attached. That lack of support may be why the rail came away from the hull.

Before you do your repairs, check the exposed wood to make sure that it is dry and solid. You may have to cut away the damaged piece until you get to an area of clean, dry and solid wood, then make aup a patch that will replace it before you put the rail back on.

You also need to make sure that you are not getting water intrusion into the top of the endgrain.

This may sound like a discouraging amount of work, but it's not as bad as it sounds and it will keep your boat from rotting away.

Good luck,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.