Paint questions

1st coat of primer is down on the underside of my NE Dory. The manual said that the paint will highlight any imperfection in the finish. Boy they were not kidding! I am a little disappointment in my workmanship. I really thought I did better than that!! All joking aside its not that bad, except for one thing. The wire holes. I have been watching them as this build has progressed. I expected them to fill in with all the layers of epoxy, nope. Then I figure the primer might flow into the hols and fill them in, nope. Will the top coat fill in the holes? I kind of doubt it now. I look at the pictures of everyone else boats and I don't see lines of holes, so how are you all filling them in? I saw in another post that someone was using toothpicks. I was thinking of some kind of bondo like product? If I apply it now before proceeding to paint I would be able to sand and prepare, I certainly don't want to do it between topcoats.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Paint questions

I think I may have just answered my own question. Epoxy thickened with wood flour to a bondo like consistency. Fill the holes and smooth it out with the plastic spreader, then a quick hit with a cabinet scrapper and sandpaper. Then stand back and say “what holes”.

Mike,

Congratulations Mike, you've independently invented fairing compound - a filler which hardens, fills low spots and can be sanded perfectly smooth.

Those who've come before you have some formulations that you might like better than epoxy/wood flour. A woodflour-based compound will work fine, except that it can be difficult to sand, especially fully cured. What's typically used for fairing under paint is a mix of epoxy and phenolic microballoons. These are hollow plastic spheres that are so small that they look like a purple dust. You add them to epoxy to thicken it, just like wood flour. You can make anywhere frome a thin slurry to a frosting-like consistency. The slurry is easy to apply, heavier and harder to sand. The frosting is a bit of work to apply, light and easy to sand.

When you're painting, you start with the microballoons as as the next step after wetting out the cloth. You use them to fill the weave and to fair the hull. It's cheaper, lighter and less work than filling the weave with plain epoxy. CLC sells the stuff.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Hi Laszlo

I ended up using epoxy and Cel-o-fill. After standing in the garage looking at the boat I realized that wood flour was not the best for this situation.. I have read about the microballons on CLC's website but wasn't sure about when/why you would use them. I used what I had on hand and I think it is going to work well. I will be out sanding down the primer as soon as my garage warms up a bit more. I have high hopes!

A cabinet scraper (or the back of a hacksaw blade) will bring those flush in no time.

���Hi all, I just finished laying down the first coat of Brightsides on my Dory. Overall I am very pleased with how it is turning out. How many coats should I expect to need? If I stick to the 10 foot rule I am good. I have a few little spots that are not perfect, but I am the only one who would notice. Well maybe someone who has also done this would notice too. That's ok, I want to fish and sail not enter any build contest!

In the world of Auto painting after the primer is sanded down, small holes are filled with Laquer putty, comes in a tube like tooth paste, red color. Dries very fast and very easy to sand.

Will definitely keep these tips in mind. Painting can really be frustrating at times.. :)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.