Danish Oil Temp Question?

I purchased a can of Danish Oil to apply to the floorboards of my PocketShip build, but there are no instructions on the can as far as Application instructions. I plan to use a brush to apply, but what would the minimum temperature need to be to apply and dry? It's getting cold in Virginia, but I can get my garage to about 50+ degrees for few days depending on temperature outside? Is that warm enough?

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Danish Oil Temp Question?

http://danish-oil.com/health-and-safety-data/

7. HANDLING AND STORAGE
STORAGE
Observe label precautions. Store between 5 and 25 degrees C.

No futher  application instructions on this website. Perhaps contact danish-oil.com

Ruud

Thanks Ruud. I found this on the website you provided. 

"To ensure proper drying the temperature should be above 10 Degrees C and Danish Oil should not be applied in damp conditions. Do not apply in direct sunlight."

So it will be 50 degrees minimum. I will probably have to wait until it warms up some. 

Thanks Again!

It might be possible to to build a tent like enclosure over the floor boards you are finisinig with some PVC pipe and plactic sheeting. You can place a couple of 60 watt tungstun filiment light bulbs under the plastic but not touching it and you sould be able to get the tempeture above 50 degrees F. This technique has been used with cars in the northern climates of the U.S. and some of posters applying fiberglass or paint.

What kind of solvent is used in Danish Oil and is it flammable?

Thanks George on the tent idea and I have used it recently with epoxying the inside cleats on PocketShip.  It works great. 

I was thinking about your idea and Dick just posted the question. Is it flammable. It is definitely and has warnings on the data sheet. As info the brand is "1850 Marine Danish Oil " from Jamestown distributors. I think I would be afraid to have a heat light on them in a tent. 

I think I will just have to plan around the weather. I am in Virginia and we do get warmer days in the winter. I will just have to work on those days. I may be able to move them inside after they have dried for a few hours and the smell reduces. I have been doing that on some of the smaller epoxy pieces. 

Thanks for all the ideas! 

I would guess you're fine as far as the linseed oil component is concerned (you can paint in freezing temps with linseed based paint) but the "varnish" component would give me pause. Danish oils vary so much in formulation, I think an email to the manufacturer is in order. 

I've come to this hobby from woodworking and while I love Danish oil (in particular products from Tried and True) and while the term "Danish oil" is applied  to a broad range of formulations, I never would have considered any of them to be suitable in a marine environment. I don't want to derail your thread, but I'm very curious about this product that is clearly meant as a marine finish. Looks like this formulation includes some uncommon "Danish oil" additions- UV protection and mildew/fungal protection- but even so, it doesnt seem like much protection. But on the Jamestown Distributors product page one user said he used the product for the oak floorboards of a pocket ship, so what do I know!

Is this some super finish that stretches the limits of what I think of as a "Danish oil," or am I to much of a worry-wort when it comes to boat finishes?

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick

Patrick, all good questions and I am not sure I have all the answers, thus the reason for the post. In the PocketShip manual, the recommended finish for the floor boards is   Danish Oil, so following along with what the manual stated.  I have also read multiple blogs of other users and found the same thread or review that you read about using this particular brand, so again I am doing what others have done and had good experience with.  The floor boards will not have any direct water contact. They are supported via floor supports and cleats. This will be more of an indoor finish. The reason I chose the Circa 1850 was the uv protection. With how the cabin opens up to the outside, they could be susceptible to the sun. 

Thanks 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.