best bead and cove bits?

Woodcraft, grizzly, rockler, freud, eagle, mlcs....etc.  I would like two seperate bits, 1/2 shank.  If you have milled your own what have you used and how did they hold up.  Do not want to buy cheep bits that dull quickly and burn the wood! Quality bits that you have used please.

Doug

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: best bead and cove bits?

Vastly bigger array now than when I built a stripper 45 years ago & search engines make finiding 'em pretty easy:

Here's an outfit on eBay offering something I'd try first.

Same search turned up this for a great deal more money with a corresponding cove bit shown below.

Weeding out traditional c&b stuff from what you're looking for is the tedious part I think, but what you want is out there now.

I've used the Frued 2 piece bead and cove set for a canoe and kayak with no issues, any of the brands you mentioned should work fine. I only bought the Frued set because it was available locally.   

I know...I know, I shouldn't start this, but I am truly curious about those who use bead and cove strips.  My first stripper was a Great Auk, which I made from scratch, lofting the stations from Nick's book.  It turned out great, and I found the "rolling bevel" technique easy, fun, and sort of relaxing.   So with all due respect, what is the advantage to using bead and cove strips, if there is one?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.