NE Dory build question

Hello All

I am working on my NE Dory build, I have just laid down the initial glue on the outside. Getting ready once things dry to flip it over and start on the fillets. Thinking out steps ahead I have a question before I seal the bulkheads in forever. The bulkheads have limber holes in them to let water pass from one compartment to another. But unless I missed something I don't see were the underside of the bulkheads are sealed. Wont water soak up into the bulkheads and cause the plywood to de-laminate? Am I just worrying about nothing?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory build question

Absolutely seal those holes with 3 coats of unthickened epoxy. I forget if I did it before or after I stitched. Use a gloved finger to get the epoxy in there or an acid brush. Seal everything! Dan

I'd follow the instructions from CLC. The underside of the bulkheads will end up being sealed away forever within multiple layers of epoxy and one layer of fiberglass cloth. Be careful, however, to epoxy the underside of the limber holes and all of the area around and beneath them. You want everything enclosed by epoxy when you are finished.

I wish I had thought of this before I wired everything in place. The manual does not address this. I'm sure I could removed the bulkheads and seal them up, but I am out of copper wire. Oh well I will figure out some way of getting a good coat of epoxy in there.

I did not coat the limber holes when i attached the bulkheads and after laying down the glass I am not too happy with the uneven shapes of the limber holes and the fact that they were not pre-coated.  So, my solution, which is entirely overkill is to fill all the limber holes with thickened epoxy and then drill a nice even limber hole that is smooth and will not collect any water, sand or other small debris OR flatten a copper pipe into an oval shape and insert that into the thickened epoxy.  Since i am in Florida, where it gets hot and humid and well aware of the damage wood rot causes I want to insure these holes are well protected....what say you?

I haven't yet placed my fillets or put down the fiberglass cloth. I can pretty easily get my fingers into the limber holes. I am going to put epoxy into the limber holes 1st. If I had more copper wire I would be tempted to pull the bulkheads out 1 at a time and epoxy the whole underside.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.