First canoe build

Hey there,

I am new to this community. Im in a bit of a crunch being an unemployed twenty four year old. So far, my sister's got a wedding coming up that I would love to build a cedar strip canoe for, with my twin brother. We were looking at CLC Mystic River Canoe kit as an all around solid option for the decals we want to put on. The down side would be the price. Im a super novice when it comes to this culture; I was wondering if kits are still my best option in terms of price and lack of proper equipment? Also if the mystic river canoe kit was the most recommended? Thanks, I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say and embarking on this journey!

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: First canoe build

"We were looking at CLC Mystic River Canoe kit as an all around solid option for the decals we want to put on."....................You looking for a canoe or a display board?  I'm not sure those in the "culture" would appreciate you covering up the wood with decals as much as you might think.

.".....my sister's got a wedding coming up that I would love to build a cedar strip canoe for......"  ...........................How much time have you got till the wedding? If you end up working to a near dead line mistakes can be made just when you want the finishing to be perfect.

".....I'm a super novice when it comes to this culture...".................We were all first timers once.  I guess if you were inclined "culture" could apply.  Some might say a sickness.

"......if kits are still my best option in terms of price and lack of proper equipment?...." Not sure what you mean by proper equipment. I can tell you that if you don't have equipment, or time, or skill to mill out the strips, or other parts the kit makes more sense. I've laid out and cut many parts but the CLC  CNC machine does a much better job in WAY less time. Sand paper is cheap but a random orbital sander is much faster and makes flatter surfaces. Clamps......you can never have too many clamps. Layout of the braces can be tedious and time consuming. 

Perhaps what you want is one of the classes where they build the basic boat in a week of intense building. The Mystic canoe might not be scheduled in this, see Events.

Everybody has the right to make their own decisions and committments. A strip built is pretty. It also requires more attention to details, forms, strong back and jointery details than say a stich and glue kit boat. You should be able to find You Tube videos describing the two processes and decide which matches your resources better.

I appreciate the ideas. You are giving me a little more insight on the kind of addiction I might be getting myself into.

We've got until April to do this thing. Also wondering if change in season/temperature has an affect on the wood as well... Kits are looking to be our best bet. I should have been clearer about the "decals." All I meant was wood design using the different toned strips as shown in the pictures for the mystic river. Any first timer advice I would need going into the actual build, like less is more when it comes to glue or epoxy?

I totally agree with Grumpy's comments above.  MY random thoughts follow:

1.  A strip build for your first project is awefully ambitions unless you already have some woodworking and/or glass skills.  It is doable but ambitions.

2.  Definately go with a kit for your first build, especially if you are on a schedule.  CLC does a great job and you will have everything you need. 

3.  Completion by April is pretty unlikely for a first build that is strip. Unless they have a kit in stock, it will be at least several weeks before CLC gets the kit made.  Then add shipping time during the holidays.  Realistically, you would be lucky to have the kit before the first of the year.  You are looking at something like 200 hours to build a Mystic River.  That sounds doable over a three month period for two people but that is not necessarily so.  There are so many steps where you have to let something dry/cure that really stretch out the calendar time of a build.  Also, the environment has a big impact.  It can be to hot or cold to use epoxy.  Just varnish takes a full week.   If I could dedicate all my time to build, I would expect a Mystic River to take me at least 10 weeks and I a workingon my 7th build.

4.  A more realistic project might be the Mill Creek 16 Hybrid.  The S/G hull goes together much faster and you could put your strip designs on the deck.

5.  Some tips for beginners:  a. You need good light in your work space.  b. Depending on where you live, you will need some heat in your work space.  c. Get a good plane and learn how to use it and sharpen the blade.  d. Less epoxy/glue is better.  e. Get some scrapers and learn how to use and sharpen them.  f. Sanding is fun.  Onening a can of varnish is a cue for your neighbor to mow his grass.            

Looks like I timed out.  The preceeding post is mine.

Disclaimer: Have not yet built a strip boat.

Those designs are built into the boats using different colored wood. The first step to that is to aquire the colors of wood that you want in the right quantities. Then as you build the boat you must slow down to create the pattern that you want. Precision is key, it would not be good to have a cool pattern, but be off on one side. As stated previously, the temperature of the epoxy greatly affects is curing time. I have waited 2-3 days for epoxy to cure in an unheated garage. The 200 hours is your working time, not including waiting for glue and varnish to cure. Best of luck, JRC.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.