Chesapeke Triple cockpit

Is it possible to make the Chesapeke Triple's cockpit larger?  I'm a late-40s guy with a more-than-healthy middle-age spread, and I don't think a 17" cockpit opening is going to cut it.  I considered some of the other options like the Mill Creek and Wood Duck, but I'm really looking for something that my wife & child can all go paddling in together.  I'm pretty good at woodworking, so I'm not afraid of customizing the kit pieces a bit; I was thinking about adding a 1-2" piece in the middle of the cocpit coaming, front and back, and then using the coaming as a form to cut a wider opening.  Will this impinge on a structural member or make the cockpit opening dip too close to the waterline?  Any suggestions or other alternatives would be helpful.  Thanks!

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeke Triple cockpit

the short answer is yes.

if you have woodworking skills, you can custom cut and build out your own cockpit/coaming.  i build a lot of strip builts and all of them are custom cockpit/coaminings.   while i can fit in a normal cockpit per the design, i typically add a little in the length to ensure i can get my legs out while still seated in the seat....which for me is important just cause i don't like to run the boats up on the beach.

for the triple, you really won't compromize the design as long as you keep your modification work on/above the deck and don't cut into the sheer clamps (which join the deck to the hull).

no problem on the waterline.  this boat already rides very high and the difference in cockpit height by widening it out a bit is marginal relative to how high this boat already rides.

my only advice is take your time and mock it up...measure twice/cut once.  also be cognizant of minor adjustments that may be necessary to the location of any bulkheads or deckbeams that may intersect the expanded cockpit.  

all the best

h

Hello. Take a look at the sizes of some of the other clc kayak cockpits and choose one that you think would suit you. Then ask clc to send you the combings that size  for the number of cockpits that you would like to enlarge. Cut your existing openings to fit this size. (They will be bigger so this shouldn't be a problem). I have done this on a couple of kayaks and it is very easily done.

If you lengthen the cockpit make sure to put the deck beam in a position to allow the extra length.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.