"End Pour" question

The grandson's Wood Duckling is complete with PAINTED hull and EPOXIED/VARNISHED top.

Before finishing I failed to do the End Pour.

Can I do that End Pour now without damaging the paint & varnish from the HEAT to be generated from such a large pour?

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: "End Pour" question

Just mix a few small batches and do the end pour in steps. That way you won't get any overheating. And yes, I have seen heat from an end pour scorch cedar strips so it might effect the paint and varnish.

George K  

Hello all,

Not wishing to appear dim, just a novice ..... but what is an 'End Pour' ?

The 'end pour' is an amount of thickened epoxy used to fill the pointed ends of a kayak. As well as strengthening the bow and stern areas it gives a solid filled area for carrying handles etc.  

my 2 cents is that if you are done and did not do an end-pour.....don't worry about it.

there are a lot of 'reasons' people claim for end-pours.  but frankly, the only one that really holds up in my experience is that you need an end-pour if you want to drill toggle holes into the bow/stern and not have that hole open up into the hull to let water in.

the idea that you need it for strength is simply not well supported in my analysis except for the most major of accidents.

end pours can also make it easier to get the ends of the deck/hull to stick during assembly.....and or ensure that you have no un-coated wood in the ends that could have get water damage.  

all that said, the wood duckling is a very small boat...so if you are done and everything inside is expoxy coated already, i would simply leave it alone.

h

I do want some type of strap on the front for the Grandson, So tomorrow I will tip her up and as George suggests, do a series of small pours to manage the heat.

The build and finishing of the Woodduckling has been a learning experience for our family. While I do not "kayak", the son and grandson do and are excited to put her in the water.

Thanks to all for your comments............

I've seen people put the kayak into a bucket of icewater to do the end pour...

if you are going for the end-pour...one technique that i find helpful is to mark where you want that strap hole to be and pre-drill it and then cover it again with clear strapping tape..  then use a piece of tape on the outside of the hull to define the top surface of the endpour with an angle that minimizes how much epoxy you need (just enough to ensure that when you drill the hole, the drill will be staying inside the end-pour)....this tape line is then used as a guide for how you put the kayak up on its end in order to minimzie the material needed.

pour epoxy in until you cover the window of your hole that has the strappng tape on it...plus an extra oz.   this way you now know you have enough epoxy to cover the hole.  and drill it out again after the epoxy cures.

the point that i am making is that most end pours that are 'right sized'....require very little epoxy...and thus heat is not a problem.    most end pours done this way require less than 4 oz of epoxy.    (half a small dixie cup).

when you don't plan, a lot of epoxy is often put in which does create the risk of heat....but it really was not necesarry.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.