Filleting tools

Hello All,

Just a quick one here .....

Whilst shopping earlier I noticed some of the 'summer' items being sold off very cheaply, including platic eating utensils, namely spoons

Has anyone used cheap plastic spoons (or various sizes) as a cheap, disposable filleting too and if so, how did they work out ?

Thanks in anticipation of any replies

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Filleting tools

For me, learning to fillet is the hardest part of boat building.  I tried all kinds of things as filleting tools.  Nothing worked as well as cheap plastic spoons.  I like the clear ones because it seems like you can see the work a little bit through the spoon.  You can spread the epoxy with the spoon concave side up.  Then use another spoon concave side to the work to clean up any extra.

Hooper Williams - Brevard, NC

Thank you, Hooper

I'll go and get a few packs tomorrow :)

I use craft sticks or popsicle  sticks depending on the size fillet I am making.  Does a much neater job than plastic spoons (I have used those before too)

I like the wooden "tongue depressors" you can get in boxes of 300 at the craft stores. They are the right size for most fillets, have a nice clean edge for clean up and can be cut off at an angle for cleaing up squeeze out in confined spaces.

I found that silicone spatulas, found in any dollar store, shaped to the correct size and shape  worked great.  Unlike wood, it does not drag the fillet material and unlike spoon, you can apply a fair amount of pressure.  Additionally the silicone has the ability to be very non-stick.

I second the silicone spatulas.....  

cheap plastic putty knives from Harbor Freight and a bench mount belt sander to shape them to desired curve.  Also the 6 inch one is great for spreading epoxy on the glass.

I have found that tongue depressors, spoons and old credit and shopping cards all work very well. Specific shapes are also easily fabricated from thin left over wood pieces. 

Empty glass beer bottles. Though they can lead to spousal discussions like the following:

"What are you doing, exercising your liver?"

"I'm building a boat"

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.