General Finishes 450 Exterior- anyone using it...

instead of varnish for topcoating/UV protection? 

I have used it on other wood projects and it is much more forgiving on application, it is water based, and can be recoated in 1-2 hrs. 

Also, I have been told that you can add one of their many water based stains to the 450 for tinting purposes (up to 30% volume).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hickory

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: General Finishes 450 Exterior- anyone using it...

Ancient thread, but... did you end up using this?  Observations?

Anyone else?

I've had great luck with General Finishes products, on interior projects though

After all the work that goes into building a boat I wouldn't look for shortcuts in the finishing - why risk a poor result when there are tried and true products and processes easily available? Would be interrested to hear if anyone has used this product though - I'm just not at all interested in being the alpha tester...

Yep, old thread but as Chris' question seems pertinent, I can only add:

https://generalfinishes.com/wood-finishes-professional/exterior-topcoats-stains-oils/exterior-450-water-based-topcoat

GF's website listing suggests "not for deck use" but they likely don't mean our kind of decks I'm guessing, more the patio & back yard kind.

Still, this stuff may not be durable enough when subjected to the wear & tear our projects endure in normal use so I'd use it with caution. That it claims to be UV inhibiting is a good thing yet whether it's as effective as the solvent-based products more commonly employed would need some careful scrutiny before trusting the epoxy underneath to survive once out in the sunshine.

I finished a skin on frame canoe with house paint once. 

This is as close as I could find for a quart of 450 exterior.  Many,,,,many listings were for 450 stain.  Note down in the fine prints it says it is good for verticle surfaces, like fences, doors,etc.  It says not for decks.....places walked on? 

https://www.amazon.com/Semi-Gloss-General-Finishes-Exterior-Varnish/dp/B003L0RY1O/ref=sr_1_60_sspa?adgrpid=1338106221313159&dchild=1&hvadid=83631710806329&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=45315&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83631994552201%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=2081_10754225&keywords=general+finishes+top+coat&qid=1624924365&sr=8-60-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQjlRODVMSjcyT0xRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTE0NTA3MkJJWVcyUlpGMVQ2RCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODc0MTUyMjNGR0xYT0Y1M0ZGUyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I think I'm going to keep using "marine" paints and varnishes for my marine constructions. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.