Cocktail class Throttle and cable setup for '86 Evinrude 8hp

I'm on the tailend of finishing the work on my first kit and just came across a '86 8hp Evinrude for it. I was wondering if anyone may have advice on what to spec for remote cables and throttle box for it. New territory for me. 
I do have the OEM remote adapter kit so should be good there - but the stock throttle/cable set here for the kit is for a 6 hp so I'm thinking that it's not compatable with my 8hp? Any help would be greatly appreciated.  
Thanks!

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Cocktail class Throttle and cable setup for '86 Evinrude 8hp

As a CCWBRA member (automatic with purchase of a CCR kit) you are able to post questions on the CCWBRA Forum (email the Secretary if you have problems logging in).  Specific queries there can get you answers from CCR racers who have successfully tackled many outboard installs.  Though it might take a while for a response this weekend since many of them will be at the last race of the season tomorrow at the Rock Hall Yacht Club, across the Bay from CLC.

There shouldn't be any differences between a 6-hp and an 8-hp Evinrude as far as remote controls go.  The remote control box and the cables CLC sells for the CCRs are clearly satisfactory.  You just need to ensure you get the appropriate cable-end fittings for your '86.  You do that by telling the seller of the cables what year your engine is.

Good luck.

RE: Cocktail class Throttle and cable setup for '86 Evinrude 8hp

Makes sense. Seemed to me that the cables and control box would work but the desrciption of the CLC package threw me off with the ref to being for a 6hp not an 8 so wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. Like cable fittings...

Thanks for the help!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.