Chesapeake coaming spacers

I had my coaming spacers aligned perfectly, by the time they were clamped in place they had shifted slightly in a couple of places. Cleaning up the inside is straight forward but it seems fixing the outside is a bit risky. It would be easy to damage the kayak. Any suggestions on how to do this or, since it is difficult to see, should it be ignored?

Mike

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake coaming spacers

I might add that the coaming spacers are the only pieces glued on right now, I have not installed the coaming. The biggest shift is about 1/8 inch. If I clamp the coaming down you have to work to see it.

Mike

I picked up a soft piece of aluminum, trimmed it to fit the coaming spacers and used a very aggressive piece of sandpaper. The aluminum protected the boat and I tapered the wood for better finish. The coaming is clamped on and curing.

Mike

I wouldn't worry too much but then I wouldn't want you to look to close to my Ches 17LT. There's always something goes wrong, but if you are not building to enter competitions the errors are simply errors. Finish the job and enjoy your boat.

Yambo, I try to avoid errors which is why I ask questions here. I am enjoying the build, I have never attempted anything on this scale before and I am grateful for the detailed instructions, videos and those who help on this forum. When I do make an error that I cannot correct I just think of it as making the boat uniquely mine. It will be beautiful when it is done and I will enjoy paddling it. A long way of saying I like and  agree with your boat building philosophy.  I am very close to painting the hull, it won't be long before it is wet.

Mike

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.