Peeler Skiff battery box location/security

I am completing a PS this week and will mount a Nissan 9.8hp electric start outboard.  One complaint I have about the PS design is the lack of secure deck storage area and this becomes apparent when trying to figure out the best place to secure a group 24 agm battery/box. I installed the CLC Peeler seadek kit so securing to the deck is not the best option since I will not be able to easily embed 3M 4200 adhesive on the fastners.  Don't really want to excavate a small slice of seadek for hardware installation if possible.  I have also thought about installing removable braces athwartships under the middle and rear coaming (transom space) areas so fuel tanks, batteries, tackle boxes etc., do not fly about while underway or braking hard while trailering.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Skiff battery box location/security

Is the boat a center console or tiller model?

Image 85 of the Main (old Gallery) for the Peeler may be of help.

The PS is a standard build.  Thanks for the reference to pic 85.  Maybe I am overthinking this but my experience in both sailboats and powerboats is that gear stored on decks has a way of moving around unless secured.  All the pics I have reviewed show major deck items like fuel tanks and batteries unsecured.  Is this normal in a skiff?  My experience with skiffs date back to the 60s when I fished from them on the Severn River.  But they were either rowed or sailed/rowed.  Never drove one around with an engine.  On v-bottoms.

Three of bits of 10mm plywood secured to the deck will stop the battery sliding around and a simple strap attached to one of those bits of plywood (on the long side), put over the top of the battery and secured to the bulkhead will prevent it jumping around.

Yambo, I like your suggestion.  After taking the boat out for the first time this eveing I decided that moving the battery forward under the middle thwart would be a better position than in the rear cockpit. Again, thanks.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.