Boat canvas Q

Question for anyone who has done boat canvas work. The end of our long NE Dory build is in sight... As we will be doing a lot of road- and water-towing, I am beginning to design padded bags for our centerboard/thwart, removable seat, and rudder. For those who have done similar projects, any suggestions on the best material to use for padding? Thanks in advance!

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Boat canvas Q

I just bought pre made bags from Colie Sails in Point Pleasant NJ, 1 combo bag with 3 pouches for rudder, DB, padlocks. Other 14' bag got modified on outside to carry 2 sets of oars, mast, tiller extension, and sail with yard and boom, it's loaded heavy but everything is weather proof. Bags are in stock, made by them for laser and opti class boats. Easier and less expensive for me, but I live an hour away from them, they will ship. 

I've used cotton duck, sunbrella and ballistic nylon for various projects, depending on UV exposure, resistance to friction needed, color choices, etc. They all sew easily with a denim needle. 

Thank you both! We bought a good quantity of sunbrella for the bags and cover, so I'm committed to doing it the hard way. If I fail miserably, Colie Sails looks like a great alternative-- thanks!

Try Sailrite.com, lot's of really good info and diy videos.  If not on their site, give them a call, good, helpful people. 

Nice! I get their catalogs, but had no idea they had so much DIY info posted. Thanks!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.