Blue painters tape to edge the FG seems Outside/Inside taping

Any suggestions or opinions of using the painters tape laid down just about 1/8 in narrower on both sides of the width of the 3in glass tape to be used to join the deck to the hull? Meaning during the build I would lay blue painters tape before fiberglassing an areathen before the epoxy would dry I would take a razor blade and cut the fiberglass tape just on the inside edge of the tape, peeling it carefully off would leave a nice border.  I thought of repeating this procedure for the taping of the deck and hull. Any thoughts?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Blue painters tape to edge the FG seems Outside/Inside taping

Clear packing tape would work better.

Have fun.

Laszlo

I suspect you'd have a hard time doing it on the inside.  Getting the tape down roughly on the seam is tough enough as you get away from the cockpit/hatch.  Trying to do it with tape while keeping the tape from becoming part of the boat would be even harder.   

i do it with blue painters tape all the time.  

the nice thing about the blue tape is it's easy to see where it is.  so you know where the cut needs to be.

when you cut, its important to keep the cut about 1/8 of an inch or more away from the tape line so that you don't end up with the tape underneath the part of the glass that is staying on the hull. (fwiwi...regardless of tape type, you would never cut into the tape...becuase now you would have tape underneath the final glass....which is not good)

also....and this is critical.... you need to perform the cut when the glass is 'plasticy'...so it basically cuts easily with a sharp razor knife.  if it is allowed to fully cure to the point you can't cut it with a swipe of a razor knife,.....this technique, regardless of tape type...will become an awful mess.

so you need to have a time where you can 'baby sit' the boat to ensure you are there when its plasticy.

h

Yes I suspect it would be difficult in the inside but somewhat easy in the cockpit area.  My main idea is for the outside seem. Thanks for everyones opinion.  I have been using the blue tape and works very well.  I did try the clear tape once for the outside circumfrence of the cockpit riser.  I'm not sure if it was the tape or the length of time the tape was left on but using the tape set me back a weeks of work.  The tape left the most guiest glue residue on the surface.  I had to scrape it off yet almost impossible because it would smear into itself.  Sanding later after thinking I got it all off just exposed more if it that was still on the surface and got hot from the paper and remelted the glue back on the surface and I was back to square one.  I almost wanted to cut my riser off and rebuild t it piece by piece over again.  (Or throw the kayak away)  I'm too gun shy to try the clear packing tape every again.  The blue tape has never failed. Plus I do like the idea that you can see it well to cut right on the edge.  If it was only time that made the clear tape leave the glue behind then let me know and I'd be willing to give it another chance on a nother kayak project.  Until then I won't

I had the same experience with the clear packing tape leaving behind adhesive residue. I switched to blue painter's tape, no residue, and easier to see. 

Dave 

When we built my Peeler Skiff, the adhesive left by clear packing tape on the kit's pre-cut plywood sheets was difficult to remove as it had penetrated into the wood fibers. We worked hard to clean it up because we feared that it would reduce epoxy penetration and adhesion. It was my only negative experience with the kit.

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.