10 - 12 foot strip build dilema

Hey all! First time posting here.  My son and I are finally ready to do our first build.  We want to do a strip kayak and are looking for a length of 10-12 feet.  The only plans we can find are for the Little Auk.  Not too thrilled with the design of the boat.  We were leaning more towards a Petral design.  So..... A couple questions.  Would it be possible to get plans for a longer boat, 14 foot or so, and move the forms closer together to make it a 12 foot boat?  Or, are there any plans available for 10-12 foot strip boats? Can't seem to find what we want.  

Thanks!!!!

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: 10 - 12 foot strip build dilema

i would post your question on http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Building/index.cgi which is a forum with a significant group of people who focus on strip-built.  they will, i am sure, have some ideas for you.

h

Will do.  Thanks!

Hi,

It is possible to move the station forms to create a smaller boat, but I wouldn't recommend it. You will in essence be creating an unproven design. The same goes for removing a station form and squeezing the remaining forms together to fill that gap.

Remember that there is optimal load and displacement for a boat and for boats like canoes and kayaks, taking away from their length can have a big effect.

I have several articles and videos on cedar-strip canoe building that you can have a look at as you go but highly recommend you don't make any changes without consulting with either the designer or the people you bought your plans from.

Good luck on your build.

I'm confused. You want a Petral design which is a greenland style kayak in a 10 to 12 ft package.  In my limited knowledge greenland boats are around 15ft to 18 ft and skinny with low rear decks.  Greenland boats have a higher aspect ration and generally paddle faster.   Boats in the 10 to 12 ft range are relatively short and wide to carry the same or similar weight.  They have a lower ratio and generally are slower.  Many clubs limit sea kayak trips to boats 14 ft and up for speed and rough water capabilities.  Whitewater boats are generall short and place manoverability over speed or sea conditions.     

I guess the question is what will you be using this boat for when it is done? 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.