Main sheet configuration for Northeaster Dory

I dislike the main sheet configuration on the Northeaster as I do not like all of the main sheet lines astern as I can see myself getting tangled in them. Frankly, they look like they are just in the way. I am thinking of just running my main sheet through a fiddle block on the underside of the boom to blocks in a reinforced pad in the floor thereby eliminating all of the lines astern. I am guessing the main sheeting configuration is true to the original design of the dory, not necessarily because it is the most efficient way to rig therefore leaving the door open to alternative rigging.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Main sheet configuration for Northeaster Dory

The final Northeaster Dory design was created and refined by experts who knew what they were doing and took the time on the water to get it right. Unless you are an expert dory sailor, I would recommend building and rigging the CLC way --- then get a season on the water before changing things because they don't look right to you. However, it is your boat and you can do anything you want to it.

Cheers,

Dick

I agree with Dick that your initial set up should be the stock CLC method, realizing you can mock-up/modify it to your exact desires after some sails...but you did make me thing of something...the bridle behind the skipper position has knocked off my hat enough times in a tack that in heavy air when things get confusing, I often take off the hat...but...what a dory owner could do is mount the ends of the bridle another foot aft of the stock position, or if you have inner rails, just tie it back a few slots.  Easy thing to try anyway.

Also, a lot of dory builders have replaced the mid-boom free wheeling block with a ratchet block with the ratchet always left on...makes it a lot easier to lightly hold the main sheet.

One more thought on your idea...are you talking about mounting the main sheet mid boom?  If so, John may need to advise if the boom is strong enough to be grabbed by just the middle of the boom without the stock 2-point attachment.  I definetly would not mount any mid-boom system with thru-bolts.

Curt

I assume you are talking about the balanced lug rig.  Note that both the NE Dory and the Skerry share the exact same 62 sq. ft. balanced lug sail, but the sheet is rigged differently on the two.  The standard Skerry rig employs just two blocks, one on the boom just aft of mid-point, and one affixed by a short length of line to the center thwart.  I'm very happy with the way this works, and I'd be surprised if the boom on my Skerry is any different from the NE Dory boom.  You can check with CLC, but unless you are leaving the sail loose footed, there should be no concern about the strength of the boom should you choose to rig it like the Skerry.  I think the likely problem area would be the difference between the location and shape of the center Skerry thwart and the thwarts on the NE Dory.  However, you may want to browse the photo gallery on the CLC website's Skerry page for inspiration.  I don't have any photos of that aspect of my rig, but I'd be glad to take some if it would help.

Hokker 

Thank-you Dick, Curt and Hokker for your replies. At this point I am just soliciting input as to alternative ways to sheet the main. And it is the sloop rig I will be using, not the lug. I think my main concern (no pun intended) is that if I rig a block to block (one on the underside of the boom and the other either on the thwart or the floor) sheeting  (boom-vang like) system midway or just aft the middle of the boom, then I risk the boom bending and distorting the sail in stronger wind as the boom is fairly narrow and I would not have any support at the end of the boom like I would if I rigged it with the cradle system.

I did check out the Skerry photos Hokker and that is the main sheet system I would like to use. I guess the bottom line is, as you all pointed out, it will be a trial and error process. If it works great. If not, then on to something else. Like you said Curt, I think the cradle lines are just going be continuously knocking off my hat if not getting more seriously in the way at the wrong moment.

Thanks again for your comments and critique. It's a learning process. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.