Flusg hatch securing points

I've seen multiple ways to secure the hatch.  For instance;  Shown on this webside of CLC,,,,One piece of wood with a hole drilled on two ends then 4 hooks on the hatch cover underneath and then bungied.  This would make a four point system.  That makes sense for equal pull down force.  I've seen pictures of people using only one tiedown position in the kayak and also one hook on each side of the hatch in the center.  This would make only the pulling force on both sides in the center.  Obviously the pull down force to seal the hatch is only in the center. One more was one inside the hull with a loop of bungie then spread like a triagnle to 2 hooks on both corners of the hatch and duplicated on the other side.  ie.. 4 points that are connected underneath the hatch cover but down to one on the hull on each side.  My question is....Is the one on each side of the hull and only one on each side under the hatch itself enough?  Thanks in advance

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Flusg hatch securing points

I use the Delrin Hatch Toggles on all my flush hatch boats.  I decided to not use the internal bungies system because I am scared (paranoid) of loosing a hatch cover on the freeway.  The other advantage is that they hold the cover tight enough that you don't get any leaks.

I have used bungie hold downs on most of my flush hatches. I use 2 hooks on the hatch itself. 1 of each side.  4 loops to hold the bungies. 2 on each side. I also add a tether to each hatch cover so I won't lose them should they come loose. They never have. 

Dan

Mark,

I built my WD12 with the internal bungee hold-downs (2 loops on each side of the boat, a hook on each side of the hatch, like Dan) and in 8 years of use have never had the hatch come loose on the water or the freeway.

The bungees hold it tight enough that I had to put that finger hole on the edge to be able to open it at all. It takes several pounds of force just to open it and over 10 to get it to the angle where the bungee can be slipped off the hook. If you can get a flate plate to generate 10 lbs of lift per square foot at freeway speeds, you should be building aircraft, not kayaks :-)

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.