Petrel Play recessed hatch alignment tabs

Do I have to cut off the alignment tab for the larger recessed hatch? It seems like its the only way to assemble the parts, but then why put did they even put the tab there?

The tab on the outer piece obviously fits into the deck notch, but there is no notch for the inner ring where the hatch cover sits.

There was no tab on the smaller hatch.

https://goo.gl/photos/WTDGWmczu3qJmrdw8

I wish they would update the intsruction manual to accomodate the Petrel Play, instead of  just sending the manual for a similar boat. I have already come up with many questions like this throughout the build that are not explained in the manual.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Petrel Play recessed hatch alignment tabs

I have the same issue on a Petrel SG - the bow and day hatch rings have male notches, but the accompanying recesses aren't notched at all. I sent an email to CLC and will let you know what I hear.

I measured the base of the notch on the bow ring and it's a little shy of 5/16, so concievably I might creep up on the right width for a female notch. However, the two rings in question on my kit are round, meaning there's no real alignment need, so I might just file them off.

Wesley 

RE: Petrel Play recessed hatch alignment tabs

Here's what I heard from John @ CLC:

Word from Nick:

"I believe we eliminated the stitch holes because they created
convenient perforations for breaking the parts while bending. I may
have eliminated the mortise in some weak minded moment because I
thought the front and back was easy enough to recognize without them,
and then neglected to make changes to the manual."

And this from John:

"MY recollection is that the mortise was eliminated to get rid of a
stress riser in the hatch recess side.  Just trim the tab off; they
are easy to align without them."

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.