flush cut stitches

I am the new guy doing this, I have read about sanding the ends of protruding copper wires, heating the wires and pulling them out, and using cable ties as an alternative. I have not read about anyone using diagonal, flush cut, wire cutters. I purchased a pair for my build and they cut my Chesapeake's copper wires and left nothing protruding. I snipped the wire in the middle first, straightened it a bit, placed the diagonal cutter flush against the hull, snipped and the surface was smooth. I have been reluctant to post this as I feel it must be common knowledge.

Mike

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: flush cut stitches

I'm not seeing a question in your post, but if you want to leave the stitches in, it doesn't hurt anything.   Yes, flush-cutting wire with diagonal pliers is definitely one standard way of many to deal with the wires.  I used stainless wire so had to remove mine.  They were deadly.

You likely won't find flush-cutting diagonals at your local hardware store, but BigBox places may carry them:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-5-in-Light-Weight-Flush-Cutter-D2755/100647983

If you know what you need any good store ought to be able to get you a pair in a few days or less, save you shipping costs if ordering on-line.

I'd avoid using these on stainless though, be pretty rough on those edges....

You likely won't find flush-cutting diagonals at your local hardware store, but BigBox places may carry them:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-5-in-Light-Weight-Flush-Cutter-D2755/100647983

If you know what you need any good store ought to be able to get you a pair in a few days or less, save you shipping costs if ordering on-line.

Copper wire ought to dress down nicely with a fine file if all you have / want to use are more common diagonal cutters.

I'd avoid using these on stainless though, be pretty rough on those edges....

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.