Flame Treated Wood Concerns

I've been planning my Chesapeake 17 LT build for a while now and I had an interesting idea. I would like to flame treat the plywood to make the grains "pop" and to give it a little darker color (just discoloring the surface but not damaging the material). My concern is that this might affect the adhesion of the epoxy/fiberglass coating. Has anyone had any experience with this?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Flame Treated Wood Concerns

I don't think it will affect any adhesion.  At first, the flame just carmelizes the sugars in the wood.  After that, you'll get some fiber damage though, so be careful.  I'd practice on some other wood first.  You don't want any char/soot to come off on your hand after torching.

RE: Flame Treated Wood Concerns

1. Back in the day the guys at the squadron used to flame kiss plywood and then seal it for job built cabinets, work benches, etc.  Personally it sucked. But as long as there was no charring finishes held.

2. Stay away from "fire treated" plywood. It is a construction product for commercial construction. It would likely work, but its not necessary and a little toxic. The scraps don't burn either.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.