Oxford Shell decking glue down

Can small diameter wood or sheetrock screws be used along with adjustable straps to hold the fore and aft decks down until the thickened epoxy sets up then remove the screws/straps? I hesitate to use the bronze ring shank nails that CLC offers being visable once complete.

Is there a better way??

Thanks,

Guy S.

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Oxford Shell decking glue down

Straps and that shrink wrap that's available in packaging stores works great instead of the nails for the Chesapeake series of boats, should work fine for the Oxford Shell, too.

Laszlo

Thanks Laszlo!

i routinely use strapping tape to do decks with no screws/nails.  it can even replace copper wire in a number of circumstances.

h

hspira,

Would that be the strapping tape with the filiments through it and can that be purchased in a local Lowe's or Home Depot? What width tape?

Thanks,

Guy

yes....you want the stuff with the fibreglass filliment through it...it does not stretch in any discernable manner.  i use no less than one inch but typically the two inch tape.

as an example, fwiw....the superior kayak night hawk construction manual calls for executing with no screws and almost no copper wire.  just high quality duct tape.  for me, i replaced the duct tape strapping tape with excellent results.  the advantage of the strapping tape is i can see through it to confirm i have pulled the parts behind it into proper alignment.

h

hspira,

Thanks so much for the information and tip - I think I will use your method for holding down the decks on the hull until the thickened epoxy sets up. This way there will not be any unsightly nail heads showing on the decks! And probably any other place on the hull I may need to put in alignment too.

Regards,

Guy S.

Does the tape leave any residue that needs to be cleaned up? 

hokker

i have never had an issue with residue. 

that said, once i am done and the epoxy is set, i remove the tape.  i suspect this could be a problem if it is left on indefintely.  i also only use high quality/3M tape.

this is typically the same type of tape that CLC uses in packing its kits except with the filaments.  a light sanding may be needed to erase any little 'tear out' where any loose fibres on the veneer come up with the tape.  but i have never had a problem with finishing after the tape.

h

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.