NE Dory Dagger board Enhancement

With the Nanoship back at the Wooden Boat School, I thought I would share something I learned in last year’s class that I applied to my NE Dory build. John showed us how to increase the ding resistance of the Nanoship’s centerboard by adding a ring of thickened epoxy around the outer edge. When I asked CLC about doing this to my NE Dory daggerboard and skeg, this was John’s reply:

“That would definitely be a useful enhancement.  It's more work, but the daggerboard and skeg would be a lot more rugged if given that treatment.”

For the daggerboard I first used a router to cut a rabbet on the internal side of both daggerboard halves before I glued them together. I only cut the rabbet in the area that sticks out below the boat (the lower part that you need to shape). When I glued the halves together, the two rabbets created a slot in the outer edge of the daggerboard:

I then mixed up a batch of thickened epoxy (peanut butter thickness so it wouldn’t flow out of the slot). I worked the epoxy into the slot so there would not be any air bubbles. I then let it harden.

When I sanded the daggerboard edges into the desired shape, the result was a ring of hardened epoxy around the edge. If the daggerboard strikes a submerged object it will hit the hard epoxy first instead of the softer Okoume.

For the skeg, I just mounded up thickened epoxy around the outer edge of the skeg and let it harden. Afterwards I used a sander to shape it and give it a round over.

I did the same thing for the leading edge of my kick-up rudder.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory Dagger board Enhancement

Excellent idea!   Thanks for sharing

Another twist on the same idea is to embed epoxy saturated rope on the leading edge of the bow, daggerbord, skeg, and rudder.  Same idea as what you did but gives some body to help with fairing.

http://www.clcboats.com/forum/5/thread/26671.html

Curt

i just used  tape to make a form and filled / poured about 3/16 inch of  thickened epoxy  to form a strong edge   

Buzzard, can you explain how you made a form out of tape?  Not sure I understand what you did?  any photos you can share?

Dan,

Sounds like a great idea. I would assume that the more fiber in the thickened epoxy mix, the less chance of epoxy fracture on impact.

When we built my Peeler Skiff, we were concernet about the impact resistance of the Peeler bow. We added 1/2-inch stainless steel half-round on top of the plywood and under the fiberglass covering. It has resisted all attempts to ding it. In retrospect, I would have drilled the holes for the bow ring with a drill press before installing it. Turned out to be a fair bit of work drilling after installation.

Regards,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.