adding Varnish after one year of use

Hi,  I have serched the forum, but I wanted to do a reality check.

I finish my Wood Duck 12 a year ago, but I only got 2 coats of varnish on it when I started to use it.  I am fortunate to have Lake front in NH so I was able to keep it out of the sun unless I was using it, mostly short paddles. It's in good shape, just a few scratches and pant marks, the boat and I bearly make it though the 27" door (its a camp, don't ask)

So My plan is to WET Sand with 400, wash it off, and rub down with Denatured alcohol then varnish with Schooner Gold,   I did the wet sand this evening and it is dulling up in places.  My Question is will this be enough bite for the new varnish?

Thank you in advance, I know this topic comes up all the time.

Again, I have to do a SHOUT out to CLC for a great kit and Laszlo for his great build page. I get so many complements form people when I paddle by.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: adding Varnish after one year of use

Sorry for a few typos, when I proof read it I was going on hour 6 of hiccups. They seemed to have stopped.  That's one reason I didn't start varnishing yet ;)

Also in my Thank you's I should have added the many other builders that post on this forum.  During my build I would search the forum and make notes in the instruction manual and keep a daily list of what I would need for that session and have it prepped.

Shawsheen,

Glad you found the webpage useful.

If you've only put on 2 coats, chances are you'll be taking most of it off if you sand to a uniform dullness. But that's OK, the new coats will replace them.

Also, I'd skip the denatured alcohol and just wash it down a few times with water to get the dust off, then rub off any dried waterspots with a clean lint-free rag. That works fine for me when I refinish.

Laszlo

I use denatured alcohol cause i've got it and it dries "right NOW".  There's no need to wait or dry off spots. 

My C-17 is just over one year and it's been sanded and varnished twice. Rocks, oysters and logs inhabit our waters. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.