Sailing the NE Dory without lashing the foot to the boom ?

Hi All - 

I'd like to try rigging my Dory without tying the foot of the sail along the length of the boom and instead just tension the foot using the outhauls Welcome your comments on the impact this may have on sailing performance.

Cheers.

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sailing the NE Dory without lashing the foot to the boom ?

By the way, do you have a lug or sloop rig?  (makes a difference on how the downhaul impacts your question.)

You probably know that is called "loose footing your main".  In main sails on keel boats that have a shelf (extra fabric) across the foot it can add a square foot or so of shaped sail to provide lift.  Would it provide additional lift on a dory sail?  Hard to say because our sails dont have a shelf.  The biggest problem any time you loose foot the main is on gybes if the boom comes across fast, the sail grabs wind, powers the main hard,and the sheet is held tight not letting the sail run potentially bending and even breaking the boom depending on the section of the boom. 

So....to me this question needs John Harris to advise if a) the stock boom can handle loose footing from a strength perspective, and b) if yes, will it make a difference?

Curt

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.