Chesapeake 16: glassing the cockpit area

Hi,

I am about to add the fillets, glass tape, and glass cloth to the cockpit area of the chesapeake 16.  I am wondering if the glass cloth needs to run all the way up the sides to the sheer clamp, or if it is OK to have it just overlap the taped seams on the chine.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake 16: glassing the cockpit area

it is OK to have it just overlap the taped seams on the chine.

that said, its important to make sure you properly seal the non-glassed wood above the tape seam with epoxy.  i would take two passes of epoxy on those surfaces to make sure you don't leave any exposed wood.

some construction variations would glass up to the chine...but you don't need to.

h

I will respectfully disagree with Howard. The glass provides valuable abrasion resistance. The cockpit is where all the action is - dropping metal things like anchors, cans and thermos bottles, climbing in with keys in one's pockets and potentially kicking and stepping everywhere.

For the rest of the boat, maybe you don't need it, but where that troublesome human will be doing everything that a person does in a boat, I'd glass it all the way up.

Have fun,

Laszlo

On my Chesapeake 17lt I glassed the cockpit area up to the sheer clamps and added a length of 4" carbon fiber tape on each side in the area where the footbraces would mount. I tend to put a lot of pressure against the footbraces and was concerned that the sides of the hull might flex. 

Thanks all,  

Given my tendancy to be a litte rougher on most things than the average person, I may have to consider Laszlo's advice carefully.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.