Lug Rigs for Northeaster Dories with Inwales

This is getting to be a popular permutation, so I stole thirty minutes and made up a drawing.  Here's how I'd do it if I went out in the shop and fitted my own Northeaster Dory with spacered inwales and a thwart for the lug rig.

Some builders start and stop the inwale at the reinforcement block for the mast partner thwart.  I don't like this approach, as it creates a big stress riser right there, which can give you a kink in the boat's lines or worse.

Thus, the inwale runs unbroken right through the middle of the whole business. There's a long spacer block in way of the thwart;  this is laminated from two layers of 1/4" material to avoid putting a flat spot in the rail.  The blocks to which the thwart is bolted are whittled from 1-1/2" x 3-1/4" x 10" timber, and are glued on from the underside. This would look elegant and would be VERY strong.

I call it the T.L.R.N.D.S.I. Version 1.0.  Click to embiggen.

Northeaster Dory

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Lug Rigs for Northeaster Dories with Inwales

Oh, thank you for this. This is the first time I'm glad to be substantially behind schedule on my own build.

Your kink concerns have me thinking. Supposing one was planning solid longer spacer blocks to put top mount oarlock sockets in solid wood. What is the maximum lenth you would use before ripping some stock into 0.25" thickness to make the spacers?

In a similar vein, if one wishes to use the mounting blocks but still wishes to have solid wood under the oarlock sockets and plans to achieve this by deviating from the normal spacing and block length is there any guide to when one would encounter a problem?

Thanks!

>>>What is the maximum lenth you would use before ripping some stock into 0.25" thickness to make the spacers?>>>

I'd say anything longer than 4-1/2 or 5 inches is going to put a noticeable flat spot in the boat.

Interesting. Are folks who do the lug rig without inwales creating a stress riser when they glue the thwarts for the mast partner in place?

John, Does this mean that I can exchange my thwarts for the new improved T. L. R. N. D. S. I. thwarts? If no exchange, can I buy a set? :-))))) Thnax, Don

John,

Any chance of selling the T.L.R.N.D.S.I materials?  I would definatly be interested.  If not, any chance you could make some basic dimensioned drawings?  

Hey John ------- Not realizing that there would be an issue with an interrupted inwale at the mast thwart brace, I have installed and filleted the brace/support and have the spacers epoxied on - the inwale is not on. Short of cutting the whole thing off is there another option?  I was considering adding a brace underneath the support, epoxied to the support an a few inches of the inwale on either side.    Thanks in advance for your input 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.