Chesapeake panels

I am working on my first kit, a Chesapeak 16. I have the panels glued. The side panels are identical but the bottom panels do not match exactly. If I match the top and bottom at the center the lines appear to match perfecty but when I get to either end one panel has a bit more of a curve. It is about 3/16ths of an inch higher than the other at each end. The puzzle joint look perfect. Is this something I should just ignore or would it be a good idea, in the interest of a symetrical boat, to trim the pieces to match.

Mike

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake panels

the bottom panels should be symmetrical....

was this from a kit/cut by clc?  3/16 sounds more off than one would expect from something cut by their CNC machines.   is it possible on the bottom panels you accidently joined front-to-front and the other back-to-back?

i am not familiar with the puzzle joint technology to know if they are set up to ensure that cannot happen.  but it is one possible explanation.  

h

Hspira,

the ends match at each end, the pieces are glued together properly I am going to soften the joints with heat and try to align the panels using clamps and waiting a day. We will see what happens.

Mike

the puzzle joint was heated and the two sides are clamped together on a table perfectly aligned. Any idea how long I should leave them clamped to the table and if anyone thinks the misalignment was not a problem please let me know.   

sounds like you are on the road to recovery.  and yes...everthing should be symetrical and its easier when you start symetrical to stay symetrical.

with respect to how long you need to wait....if you heated/softened the epoxy....once its back to room temp you are ready to go.

h

Thanks H, I cleaned up the deck beam and sheer clamps today and will cut the sheer clamps to the proper length this evening. I think I will just leave the bottom panels clamped in place until I am ready to work with them. Maybe tomorrow afternoon. I did call CLC and they were surprised that puzzle joint pieces would be off but they are.

Mike   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.