NE Dory: Twist in Hull

I doubt there is anything I can do now but figured it was worth a shot. When I was wiring in the transom I noticed a small twist in the boat. As the instructions said I tied a rope to it and weighted to the side to straighten it. When I came back a few days later my knot didn't hold and the rope came undone ( dumb I know). It was barelly noticable and thought I could live with it. Well, after fiberglassing and glassing the hull I flipped it to begin working the inside. Now I look at it and the whole boat has a noticibe twist. Beyond frustrating!

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory: Twist in Hull

My first thought is that a lot of flaws we notice as builders can't seem to be seen by anyone else. My second is that you are very close to being able to give your boat a test in the water. If it rows well, and only you can notice the flaw . . . you may still want to fix it, but you wouldn't need to feel great urgency.

My third thought: Can you post any pictures? They might inspire suggestions.

Finally, I know you can judiciously apply heat to soften this relatively fresh epoxy. But I'm not sure exactly where to apply this heat in your situation.

RE: NE Dory: Twist in Hull

Meh. Owing to a number of first-time builder mistakes, I have a noticeable twist in my NE dory I never could get out (and an improperly seated transom--snapped it off while trying to fix the twist, never quite got it back on properly). My boat will never be in a museum display. My boat did, however, just get me from Puget Sound to Juneau... Don't get too frustrated!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.