Bad Fillets

I spent the day installing the bulkheads in my Passagemaker and some of the fillets are fine but others not so much. The bad ones are thin and wimpy looking. Basicly I ran out of time and the mix began to set. My plan is to go back and sand the bad ones a bit and then add a new layer of thickened epoxy on top of them. My question is whether this 2 step process will work or is there something else I should do.  

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Bad Fillets

Should work fine, if you jump right on it, you wouldn't need to sand.  If the fillets are soft, but the mix was good, you can still get some chemical boand. If they have cured hard, then waiting a while before you sand is safer for you and likely easier.

You might want to wash and then sand if the epoxy feels greasy.  You can use alcohol, or wash with water, and just don't overdo the water, and give time to dry.  Normally you don't need to wash, just if it is really hot or humid some epoxies will blush.  But I don't go looking for trouble. 

Another option is to use clear epoxy and wet/dry paper, and wet sand the coves with the epoxy.

RE: Bad Fillets

Thx for the response - the fillets are 24 hours old and hard so i guess i'll go with the sand and alcohol wash method. I was concerned that putting one fillet on top of another would mean that the bulkhead would be weak or just not seal properly.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.