Wetting glass gap

After a very long hiatus I have gotten back on the horse to finish my stich and glue kayak.  This week I was glassing the hull of the boat and considering my trepidation to get started I think it went reasonably well for my first time!

However there is a small section near the sheer clamp that didn't seem to take (see image). 

I am not certain how to correct this as the glass has been epoxied.  Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Thanks

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wetting glass gap

Here is the link to the photo - sorry, couldn't get it to upload in post.

https://flic.kr/p/J7R6Ki

If it's completely cured cut it away, sand the edges smooth, lay a patch of scrap glass at least an inch larger in all dimensions over it. Once it's cured, feather the edges with some sand paper. Should end up invisible.

Another option, if you're going to have rub rails, is to just cut it away, epoxy it well and let the rubrails eventually cover it up.

And yet another option is to cut it away and let the deck glass overlap cover it up.

Any one of these will work and give you a perfectly good boat to have lots of fun with.

Good luck,

Laszlo

PS - your photo's URL was buried deep in the page source.

BTW, what kind of boat is it? If that's one of the Chesapeakes, depending on exactly where the boo-boo is, it may get planed away when you set the deck radius into the tops of the sheer clamps.

So for the moment I'd say cut the bubble away and wait until you've finished planing the sheer clamps before committing to a repair. You really might not need to do anything.

Laszlo

Thanks for the tip Laszlo.  It is a Chesapeake 17.  I wasn't planning on putting rub rails on it - but if I can't get it right, then I may consider it.  The section is small so I may do what you suggest - cut it out and wait until I get the deck on and see what it's like after that.

Thanks again,

Pat

Yes, cut it away and ignore it. Much can be/will be sanded away anyway when you radius the deck edge before deck glass.

The sheer gets 17x12 = 204" of glass per side to bond the deck to hull. If one or two of those inches isn't glassed, there's still 202" of glass remaining. It'llbealright!

This, if it seems like it will work:

"And yet another option is to cut it away and let the deck glass overlap cover it up."

By the way, the way to avoid this in the future is to leave a few inches overhang on the glass, and wet out the overhanging glass.  I don't make any effort to get it super wet, but normall squeegee or roller work will get it a little wet.  When you stop right at the edge it looks like what you did, which is fine if you aren't finishing clear, or even if you are and just fix it.  But anywhoo that is how you avoid these problems.  Another option none of my projects have ever been graced with is to finish at a hard line by rolling over a taped edge, then cutting back at gree cure.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.