Winter storage outside question

Hi, 

I have just finished building a Wood Duck 12. Relative to my worshop it is pretty big so I am considering keeping it outside, under a roof and between two walls but open to the elements at both ends. 

The conditions are South England temperate, so in the winter it is will be humid and cold, below freezing on occasion and the summer will be mild to warm but rarely scorching, and also humid and wet but not exreme.

Will a varnished, epoxy, ply boat degrade in these conditions?

thanks

https://hattonkayak.wordpress.com/

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Winter storage outside question

I've found that the most important thing is to keep a boat dry and out of direct sunlight. (Even indirect sunlight can eventually have a detrimental effect.) Can you close off the ends with black polyvinyl plastic? And then you need to keep squirrels and mice from destroying your love child.

You don't want to leave any bright finish boat in the sunlight.  I have one stripper that is in a dark basement, but over the years enough sunlight has still got to it from use and so forth.  A boat you want to store out of doors should be glassed within an inch of it's life and painted.  Oddly enough the longest lasting paints I have used are super bright white latex.  Outlasted Awlgrip by a long margin.

Whiile I don't think it is enough.  I have one roto-molded kayak, that is stored out of doors in a bag I made up out of some tarps sewn together.  A real boat bag is a good deal.

���Here you can have ideas and fins tips for dry storage midlandboatrvstorage.com/dry-storage-tips-for-boats-on-trailers/

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.