balanced lug rigging

STill a few months away form a sail kit for my dory and completely new to sailing,looking for ideas and advice on rigging the lug sail.I'll be installing a kick up rudder and 2 sets of reef points.pondering a block and tackle system to increase down haul tension and would also like t be able to adjust that while seated.I've also seen the boom attached to the mast so it can be adjusted fore and aft (called a bleater on goat island skiff page) I'll probably add lazy jacks once I get used to playing with the strings I've already got.would like folk's input on what works and what doesn't

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: balanced lug rigging

Ha!  Bleater, Goat Island Skiff.  I get it.  Similar to a snotter on a sprit?  My lug sail shape is MUCH better with some downhaul/cunningham tension.  The tradeoff is much more prebend in the yard.  I'm thinking of making my yard into a T-shaped half I-beam because of that.

RE: balanced lug rigging

I can't say enough about how well the dory sails.  Granted,  I'm still getting used to the handling of a lug sail but I am venturing out in stronger wind. Today was a steady 10-12 mph on LBI with the boat heeling and even heading up into the wind so rudder correction was needed. I've been a scared rabbit up to today, so the confidence is building.  I copied Moonchaser's design for "lines leading aft", used a cheek block for the sail halyard, turned the mast, lazy jack halyard thru the original mast head hole, and belaying pins to hold the ropes off the floor beside me in the inwale scuppers. Everything is working, just glad there are no patent rights on this forum. Curt's photos, threads, and design are the key!  Laszlo's conceptual interpretation of the lazy jack system helped me understand the big picture. Last summer the sail always got wet, everything is staying dry so far and I haven't hit my head either. I have graphite epoxy on the mast foot and head. And am now starting to notice the sand abrasion on the foot as mentioned in a previous thread. My next modification is to glue a 1/4" piece of cork or flooring tile on the mast foot to stop the abrasion from eating thru the finish and keep it sealed. It is such a pleasure working the sail from the steering position at thwart 3.  I highly recommend you go for the lazy jacks, add another 4 inches to the overall mast length to raise the sail higher overhead (I'm 6'4") and use a cheek block on the mast with a regular block on the top spar. Good luck Dan

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.