Position of butt splices

I am building 10 foot row boat.  The plans call for butt splicing the 8 foot sheets of plywood with fiberglass and expoy, which I have done.

My question has to do with the position of the butt splices.  The plans suggest putting the splices at the bow, where there is significant curvature.  I am questioning if they would be better placed at the stern where the panels have almost no curvature.

In the stern there would be more stresses placed by occupants of the boat stepping on the floor.

I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions.

Thanks,

Les

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Position of butt splices

I built a 12-foot dinghy (row & sail) and that had the butt blocks in the middle to support the seat, as well as join the sheets of wood. That has worked very well and avoided the curvature problem.

Stepping on the floor while on the water is no problem. Every inch of the floor is supported by the water. It's only when you have it on land or a trailer that it becomes a problem.

Generally, though, it's best to go with what the plans tell you to do. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to draw those plans and they may have had an important reason for putting the splices where they did. You should probably ask them if moving the splices is OK.

Good luck,

Laszlo

Lazlo,

thank you very much for your reply.  The designs were made by a man in Italy, where they have 10 foot pieces of plywood.  I don't think he has ever needed to do a splice.  His designs show a suggested layout for 8 foot sheets of plywood, but I don't think it has been attempted.  His suggestion puts the splices in the bow end, where the curve is most significant.

I am beyond impressed with the glossy finish in your photo!  Great work.

Les

You say you've already made the joints Lesh so it's all a bit academic now but personally I'd have scarphed the panels. Plywood here comes in 2.2 metre lenghts so all the side panels on my Skerry are made from 3 pieces of ply, so 2 scarph joints on each panel. I arranged them so that they weren't all in line and not at points where there was any serious bend in the panel and it worked out fine. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.