Peeler Skiff outboard

I am looking forward to purchasing a 15hp outboard for my Peeler Skiff which is being built with a center console.  With the center console I will want remote steering, shifting and electric start.  I have not contacted any outboard dealers yet but in looking at a number of outboard manufacturers websites, it looks like just about all 15hp motor are tiller controlled.  The CLC demo boat has a Yamaha outboard but theYamaha website indicates that remote steering and shifting are only available on 20hp or higher motors. What motor have other builders used? 

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Skiff outboard

On the Peeler Skiff page, CLC lists UFlex Throttle/shifter and steering packages under "Additional Components". These also appear to be widely avaliable at other marine retailers.

I saw that.  So builders are converting tiller controlled boats using these components? 

Most dealers will want to rig the remote models themselves. (probably liability issues) I found a local Mercury dealer that is letting me do it with the understanding that I let them check my work before going live. He also worked with me to order the correct wiring harness (hopefully) for the remote features.

One problem with stock oem motor controls is the tend to be a bit clunky. I ordered a Telflex Osprey side mount that just might fit on the stock center console. It's model TEL-CH1752P from Jamestown Distributors and has trim/tilt, tilt, neutral start interlock etc.

Now if I can just get a week or so with temps over 60F I can get this puppy done.

Suzuki and Tohatsu have remote steering available. Suzuki has a 9hp available and Tohatsu has a 9hp and 15hp remote available. Honda, Yamaha Mercury not so much.  Friends that have the Tohatsu (sp?) really like them for commercial use.

I tried to upgrade my Peeler's 15hp tiller Yamaha for remote  steering...It would have to be done by a certified shop and cost about $900 for tools, parts and labor. 

I hope others considering building the Peeler with a center console realize the limited choices for remote control outboards available to them.

Let us know your results.

Kendall,

My Yamaha dealer is helping me add remote self steering, shift, and throttle controls to my 2-year old Peeler Skiff with a Yamaha 9 hp.  There are no technical issues.  They're showing me the how and selling me the parts.  I'm building the console. They could do the same with a 15 hp.  I could not easily add electric start because I bought the motor without it (don't need it anyway),  Check with a reputable dealer to understand your options.

Cheers,

Dick

Ignore the "self".  Runaway fingers.

I ran into the same issue as I began my search for a 15 hp remote.  Yamaha has discontinued the remote option for the 15, now only available in the 20 hp or the 9.9.  In discussions with Yamaha dealers and/or repair shops you pretty quickly realize conversion of a newer model is a "bridge too far".   I looked vigorously for some aftermarket solutions for the Yamaha, bu never found anything I felt good about.   The earlier generation 15 Yamaha remotes like CLC's are very rare now.    Tohatsu, Mercury, and Honda do still offer a 15 hp remote option.  The CLC folks suggested I talk to Fawcetts in Annapolis, who confirmed all of the above, but spoke VERY highly of the Honda 15 above even the Yamaha.  (These folks sell and service a ton of sailing and RIB dinghies, so they know small outboards quite well).

I ran across a number of Honda remotes once I started looking.  Ultimately, I got lucky and found used 2013 Honda 15 remote at a MN shop with a few years remaining on the warranty that I had shipped to VA, so I'm looking forward to finishing my Peeler in the next few weeks and checking it out first hand.

I put a Honda 15 on my Peeler last year.  The only thing I would do different is to use a U Flex control box with all the gadgets.  Basically because the Honda box is really ugly!  My console is different than the kit one, I modified Johns plan a bit.  A little wider on the sides and not as tall.   I just mounted a Honda box on another Peeler with a stock console this week, to get it high enough you have to tilt it way back, almost vertical which works fine, just makes the ignition a little awkward and the idiot lights are less visible.  Also, keep in mind where the throttle will end up when wide open,  mine goes forward past the console so if someone is sitting on the console seat they can bump it with their arm.

I don't lightly go outside of the designer's specifications but I note that the weight difference between 15hp and 20hp motors is minimal and currently there are many more options for remote control outboards at 20hp.  Has anybody considered this?  I would expect that the 20hps are a little more expensive.   I would also note that they don't have to be run at full throttle. Thank you again for your thoughts

We just ordered the Honda 15 a few weeks ago with remote everything for my friends Peeler.  Seems to be available.  To change a tiller to a remote is pretty expensive, like $1000.   Most dealers will not ship a motor with remote steering,  they need to install it.  I considered the 20 for my boat but it was like $1000 more which is ridiculous.  It's the same motor as the 15 and 10 as far as the weight.  After running my boat for a year now, the only time I run her wide open is on flat water.  Not worth the extra $ and HP for maybe a few more knots.  

Kendall,

I have been looking at the 20hp Suzuki which is the same engine as their 15, similar to the Yamaha 15/20.  I don't understand why John is so adamant about not going over 15 unless he is just worried about liability as hp goes up.  Other kit manufacturers of boats this size approve even larger engines.  The only thing I can figure is that the peeler could catch a chine on a wave at higher speeds and throw you out.  BTW it looks like Suzuki has power tilt on both 15 and 20 which is something I want.   If someone knows a specific reason for not going over 15 hp I would like to hear it.  

Jim N

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.