NE Dory Balanced Lug Rig

Another question for you intrepid NED builders: I've just dry fit the Mast step and the mast partner and I've noticed that the hole in the step for the mast foot is slightly forward of the partner. Ensuring that both holes (in the partner and the step) are lined up fore and aft is not an issue, getting the two aligned vertically from athwartships is not possible unless I shave an amount off the aft end of the step. (So far EVERYTHING has been exact in measurement and alignment, so why not this?) I note from the diagram on p.153 appendix 2 A Balanced Lug Rig for the NED that the mast has a slight rake aft......so for those of you who have got to the stage of fitting the step and partner....does your mast have this rake aft?  Thanks in advance Gerry51

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory Balanced Lug Rig

The picture almost says it all. There is a slight aft rake (not as much as on the sloop rig, I believe). The rake changes how the center of moment lines up over the dagger board and thus affects weather helm or lee helm. It's important to get it right and I checked my measurements very carefully, but I don't thing you need to obsess too much. The rake to aft should be there and it should be slight.

RE: NE Dory Balanced Lug Rig

Thanks B2, thats all I needed, confirmation my eyes weren't seeing stuff! Gerry51

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.