Northeaster Dory - First Interior Epoxy and Fibreglass

just about to start this daunting part: large fillet in the bow and 2 on the transom plus the fibreglassing inbetween bulkheads. What concerns me is the the CLC instruction is to 'set aside several un-interupted hours'  to complete this. My question is ; does it need to be all done in one session? Can I split it up. ie large fillet in bow and fibreglass that fwd section, and the same aft and the 3 middle sections between the bulkheads last. (I dont have a helper..unfortunately) Gerry51

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Northeaster Dory - First Interior Epoxy and Fibreglass

Yes. You can split it up. Since the interior chunks of fiberglass cloth are separated by the bulkheads, you can do each section separately. The bow fillet can be one task as well. But remember that everything will bond a bit more strongly if you can get things done rapidly. I.e., your fiberglass cloth can bond more firmly to the bow fillet if you epoxy coat the cloth within about 24 hours of putting in the fillet. 

Thanks B2. I was thinking that I only had hours before i had to put the f/g cloth to the bow fillet. After 24 hrs my epoxy work so far is rock hard! (Stitching and then tack weld with epoxy on the hull exterior) . Given that the bow fillet is much larger and fatter would it be fair to assume that the epoxy wont be as hard? 

Another question: Have read about the orange peel drama Giggin is having and there is mention of denatured alcohol in the posts and in the instructions. I have tried to buy 'denatured alcohol' and I get met with a blank look. In the US...denatured alcohol, in the rest of the world...methylated spirit? (Or 'Metho' as its colloquially referred too here in Australia!) Are we speaking of the same stuff?  Thanks for your patience and answers. Gerry51

Denatured alcohol, also called methylated spirits or denatured rectified spirit, is ethanol that has additives to make it poisonous, somewhat bad tasting, foul smelling or nauseating, to discourage recreational consumption..

Yea it is the same.  Post some pictures if you can.  I am just now tack welding my NED hull.  Good luck on the glass work.

A thicker fillet will harden faster! Epoxy generates heat as it hardens; a thick gob retains this heat and thus dries quite quickly. If you can still dent it with a fingernail it is probably not yet fully hardened. The cooler your garage, the more slowly epoxy will harden; and below a certain temperature (I think about 50 degrees F), it will no longer harden at all.

Now the question is: How well will epoxy bond with fully hardened epoxy surfaces? I'm not sure about the answer. My guess is that there will be a good bond, but not as good as if it were applied before hardening is complete.

On an old polyesther fiberglass ski boat I once made some repairs with polyesther fiberglass, and those repairs turned out very well. The same may well be true of the stronger epoxy fiberglass.

Thanks Oceanlvr and B2. On, on ..no rest for the wicked! That 'no twist in the hull' test lifted my spirits I can tell you! Pickies to follow, just let me get these fore and aft fillets and fibreglass done then I'll post. Onya ..Gerry51   (Onya = ' Good on you'. We all speak English but An awful lot gets lost in translation!)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.