Seeking advice on transporting the Dory hull home.

I'll be building my NE Dory hull in June at the GLBBS.  I have a 900 mile trip back to Missouri with the hull and balance of the kit.  If it is feasible to carry it cartop on my Highlander that would be my first choice.  If not, I won't hesitate to purchase a trailer but I'd rather not drag it empty 900 miles up then store it here until my project is complete. Looking for advice and suggestions.  Dave

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Seeking advice on transporting the Dory hull home.

Maybe you could also purchase a Trailex trailer to have delivered (in one modest UPS box, as I recall) at the GLBBS. Then you could put it together there and trail your boat back in style. It takes about a day to assemble. Alternatively, you could have the Trailex delivered to your home well before the class. Car-top it in its tidy box out to CLBBS and then assemble it.

If the rails are on the boat you won't have any trouble car topping if you have sturdy racks. My wife and I have loaded our Dory on Tacoma bed cap with little trouble. You'll have plenty of help loading it at end of class but will want a sturdy wife or good neighbor when you get home. Wait till you get home to put it on the trailer.

Cheers,

ev

Thanks Birch2 and Silver Salt for your advice.  We have had such unusual high winds this spring in the midwest.  I'm a liittle concerned about cartopping our hull 900 miles if the windy conditions persist.   I'm warming up to the idea of purchasing a trailer and hauling it unassembled to GLBBS.  I'll ponder it some more.  Thanking you again.

If your heart is not set on owning a Trailex trailer, I bet you can easily buy a generic small boat trailer somewhere in Annapolis.  And possibly the dealer can also give you a temporary registration to keep everything legal.

Doug

I think I saw that you are from Missouri. I live in northern Arkansas and have been enjoing those same high winds as I sail my newly-completed Northeaster Dory around Lake Norfork. You will love yours!

Whether you trail it or car-top it, be sure that you tie it down very well. Windy days are one thing; passing 18-wheelers are another. Both require straps.  

Thanks for the reply Doug B.  Birch2, I'm thinking that I can spend $400+ in a good roof rack system or I might be better off putting the money towards a trailer that I'll need anyway.  Since both the sut 220 and 250 models are compact when disassembled I can't go wrong with either.  I'm with you on sailing the dory, I can't wait.   Again guys, thanks for the replies.

I carry my Dory on the top of my honda element every summer from Texas to wherever we will be for the summer in the North...Maine, Washington State, etc.  I built a 2x6 frame to sit on top of my luggage rack and had a T bar welded to fit on the front to allow a swivel bow mount for loading, but it's not easy...I carry my sail bag, oars etc under the boat strapped to the frame, then we tow that behind the motorhome

It can take an entire day to assemble the trailer, and you wont have much time at the class so I'd build it at home, and tow it to the class....not a big deal at all...

One advantage of car topping is you carry it upside down thus not trapping rain water in the boat like you would if it were rightside up on the trailer....but maybe you could carry the boat upside down on the trailer??

I have pictures if you like, just let me know

Curt

PS: our summer gig this year is near Elk Lake, just south of Charlevoix MI.   We intend to make one trip up to GLBBS so maybe we could time it to see your class, or you could swing by our camp on the way home...let's stay in touch... [email protected]

Moonchaser, I'll be in touch, Dave (Corvus)

Curt --

I will be towing my dory to Intermediate Lake this summer -- in the same chain of lakes as Elk Lake.  Maybe we could have a regatta. I'll be up there mid July.

Dave M. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.