Can I light Solor Lux Stain?

I bought some Solor Lux stain for Kaholo SUP and find that it's a bit dark for my liking (on my test piece, fortunatley).  Does anyone know if I can thin it with anything to make the color lighter?  

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Can I light Solor Lux Stain?

One sould be able to reduce the intensity by addin a lighter stain, adding thinner or reducer, or may be even rubbing a rag with the base chemical for the stain.

A quick google search turned up BEHLEN Solar-Lux™  NGR DYE Stains that has some application instructions and iformation about the reducer and retarder.

It looks like one would wnat to use the reducer to lighten the dye so the deep penetration is a uniform color to depth and not just a lighening of the surface.

One shold also test the color on some scarpe ane one might want to fiberglass and varnish the sampe to see if there is any color changes due to the full finish.

RE: Can I light Solor Lux Stain?

yes,  denautured alcohol is a great way to lighten it up....and is a good thing to have around for any staining

there are two approaches....lighten it up prior to applying by making a small/'watered down' batch or to use the a cloth soaked with alcohol to wipe it/lighten it up after you put it down full strength.

the alcohol rub is also a great way to smooth the stain...and to get color density uniform across a big piece vs keeping on adding stain.

practice on scrap pieces and you will get it sorted out.  

h

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.