Passagemaker & fiberglassing outside of bottom 3 sections

Hi, instructions indicate to fiberglass only the bottom section on the outside, but am thinking about also covering the 1st planks adjoining the bottom.  The reason is I'll be leaving the pram in the water all summer, May - Oct, and this should make for a more water-proof bottom.  I'm sure when the boat is sitting at the float, most of these 1st planks in the centor of the boat will be under water.  Also, I'm in a large harbor and quite a chop can build up, so the additional fiberglass should make for a more rugged boat for the conditions.

I assume I'll need a larger fillet where the 1st planks meet the bottom to get the glass to drape reasonably well in that area. 

Anyone tried this or can think of any reason, aside from additional weight, not to do this?  Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Rob

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Passagemaker & fiberglassing outside of bottom 3 sections

Hey Rob,

You've already identified the only issue I can think of.  Glassing over the "lap" between the bottom and the garboard.  You might have to babysit that for a few hours, getting rid of any bubbles that are going to pop up in there.  If sufficiently filleted and rounded, I think you'll be fine.  I'm thinking about doing the same thing on my PM, depending on much the width of my glass cloth covers in one shot.  Another thing I would think about doing is using penetrating epoxy on all exposed edges of the plywood anywhere near the waterline.  On my EP, I thought I was extremely thorough encapsulating the entire boat, but I still got dark spots from water intrusion somewhere.  Sigh...

RE: Passagemaker & fiberglassing outside of bottom 3 sections

Thanks Capt Skully.  I think thats a good idea using the penetrating epoxy on the plank ends, expecially below the waterline.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.