How To Remove Stain in Paint (Interlux Brightside Off White)

I had a little water (maybe a few cups) collect inside my dory and since the bow was lower than the stern, it collected in the bow  area an inch or so deep and 9-10 inches back.  I wiped it out ASAP but it had left a ring off stain I assume from dirt and a few leaves in the boat.  I tried to clean it with McGuiers cleaner, nothing, also tried a little denatured alcholol and it did nothing, except it may have ever so lightly softened the paint where I rubbed on some alcohol.  I didnt think alcohol would do that?  I wiped both off and the paint looks OK except for the light staining (not bad), but does anyone have suggestions how to remove the slight staining remaining without damaging the paint and having to do any repainting?

Thanks!

Curt 

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How To Remove Stain in Paint (Interlux Brightside Off White)

Personally, I'd try. a very fine rubbing compound and see if it can be buffed off.

Good idea Dick...I even have some real mild rubbing compound that I use on plastic automotive bezels...thanks for the idea!

Toilet bowl cleaner. The stuff is great for removing tannin type stains such as your leave debris.  I've used it on boats for years.  Spray or wipe a little on the stain, let it soak a couple minutes, and then rinse clean with water.  It can also help to lightly scrub with a white scrub pad such as those used on fiberglass showers if the stain is stubborn.

Plus, your boat will smell "tidy bowl fresh"

Another great tip, and safer than bleach I bet...thanks!  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.