Chesapeake deck panel layout

I'm building a Chesapeake 16 from plans. I have a question about cutting the deck panel layout. The manual has a photograph that shows a 4 x 8 panel draped over the hull. The 4 x 8 panel extends over the bow. The suggestion is to draw a pencil line of the hull shape on the panel and cut it out. However, the plans show a three-part deck panel cut out. Two large pieces  Plus a small section which is presumably scarf jointed onto the Bow piece. My question is, which is correct? If I follow the photograph, it looks like I just need to cut two pieces. If I followed the plans, I apparently need to pull the 4 x 8 sheet back from the bow, and figure out a small additional piece to add to the bow section. Thanks!

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake deck panel layout

Here is the manual hot for how to lay out the deck

And here is how deck layout is shown on the plan sheet. Note the small extra section to be joined to the bow. 

if you have a chesapeake 16....i suspect it is three pieces.

check the location of the scarf from the aft piece and where on the hull it is supposed to join the fore piece.  the rear deck is definitely one piece....which on all chesapeakes is relatively less length than the fore piece.  in addition, the location of the scarf will be toward the back of the cockpit...where the deck is still relatively flat....it cannot be halfway.

so it would not surprise me that while the hull is less than 16 feet overall....becuase the scarf is not centered on the boat, the fore section will actually be over 8 feet long...therefore needing that little extra piece.

so remember that it is the length from the tips to the prescribed scarf between the back and the next forward piece....that will determine if the front piece can be done in two or three pieces.

Aha, you make an excellent point. The plans show the butt joint between the bow and stern panels at 104" from the bow. And my plywood is only 96" long. So my bow section needs an extra 8 inches (at least ). Guess I will need to scarf on some more plywood! Thanks for helping me figure this out. Randy

On my 17lt that little piece was far enough forward, flat enough, that I just butted it up and nailed it to the shear clamps. It looks to be even smaller on the 16.   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.