Alternative To Picasa?

�Google has announced they are shutting down the Picasa photo sharing tool soon, moving all Picasa users to Google Photos which does not support captions. I like Picasa because you can apply captions to each photo as I have done in many of my photos in my dory photo journal: https://picasaweb.google.com/114717787929554738224/BuildingWoodenBoatCLCNortheasterDory?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKCBzczm_aKs2wE&feat=directlink I have tried to find a tool to replace Picasa but dont see a tool that offers captions on each photo, and the ability to group photos into albums. Has anyone else found a good photo sharing tool that has captions and albums? Thanks! Curt

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Alternative To Picasa?

Have you looked at Flickr?

No I havent but I will....thanks

You could also just buy your own internet domain. They're reasonably priced, come with gigs of storage and you get to make all the rules. Not to mention, each image has exactly the url form that you need to embed in the CLC forum.

Laszlo

Thanks Laszlo....It's funny..on some issues I'm pretty hi tech but on blogs, building web sites, etc, I have no clue.  Your comment makes me wonder if we (the builders, CLC customers) could build a photo journal in a tool like Flicker or Shutterfly (would have used Picasa but the're on the way out) do captions, compile into topic based albums and then share it with other builders...I know these basic web photo journals allow sharing...hmmmm

Curt,

It's not high tech, it's clerical. A senior citizen humanities major acquaintance of mine maintains her own website writing raw HTML in WordPerfect. All you need to do is get one page put together, then keep replicating and modifying it. You also need to know how to use an FTP client to move pages and images from your machine to your server. If you can use Windows Explorer, you can use the Filezilla FTP client.

If raw HTML sounds too  raw for you, there are many excellent graphical tools out there for composing web pages. So don't be put off by the "high tech" aspect of it.

Laszlo

I don't know what is best, but Google+ works well for me.  You just have to make pictures "public" in order to share them.  They have many Facebook like features but all I use it for is photo sharing.  Below is a link to my Wahoo build album.

https://plus.google.com/photos/108197909267609876091/albums/6192174784233753793

I have my own Web servers and my wife maintains some not-for-profit Web sites on them --- but we're both computer professionals.  I upload my own photos there and I like the idea of having a server where CLC forum users can upload and share their photos.  However, every time I think about doing it I come up against a pretty tough problem --- there are a lot of loonies out on the Internet who would abuse the service and use it to share questionable media.  I cannot spare the time to police such a tempting target.  I suspect that is why CLC doesn't provide such a service for members.

BTW:  My authorization logs show hundreds of attempts to hack my servers every day.

Cheers,

Dick

Dick you've highlighted the backside of this 'Internet' thing & one of the pitfalls of access for everyone.

I'm not in IT (functionally literate as long as I can do it on a Mac, Windows has always been frustrating though when pressed I can usually accomplish what I start out to) but recall when a guru set up a server (Windows NT I believe) for a company I used to work for, hacker attempts began within seconds and daily numbered in the five to six digit range.

It's a jungle out there.

I used to  manage web systems at work so I totally get the concern about the time required to control what gets posted to any shared site...forget I even brought it up!!   Where was my head?  (:->) 

My web programmers programmed in HTML, Java, Oracle etc etc and I remember enough from those days that I want a more "use" tool like Google or Fliiker...I will experiment with those.

Mark N...Thanks for the link of your pics...beautiful boats!!  Would you mind helping me get started in Google+?  If you could answer a few questions for me it would help a lot!  How about shooting me an email so I can reply with a couple questions?  [email protected]

Thanks!!

Curt

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.