NE Dory Fiberglass Question

Howdy all, I am preparing to fiberglass the bottom of my NE Dory and am wondering how high up the hull I should be trimming the glass.  Is the glass supposed to cover the endgrain on hull plank 2?  Or do I trim it lower (with respect to an upright boat)?

Thanks!

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory Fiberglass Question

The fiberglass should cover the bottom and all of the first panel. You will have painter's tape right along the edge of the second panel. After you wet it out and squeegee it, you should let it dry for an hour or two, but not let it harden completely. Then you will want to use an exacto knife to trim the fabric along the line between the first and second panel --  i.e., along the edge of the painter's tape. That way, you will get a clean line when you peel off the tape.

I don't think you should worry about covering the edge of panel #2. In fact, I used that edge as a guide for my knife blade so it was not overlapped with fiberglass. In my view that's a good thing because you will soon be filling that crack with thickened epoxy and the more deeply that epoxy can penetrate into the joint, the stronger your boat will be.   

Oops! I forgot the sequence. You've already filled those seams with thickened glue. But I stand by my belief that it doesn't matter whether you overlap the edge of panel #2. The purpose of the fiberglass is to protect the bottom and strengthen the joint between the bottom and panel #1 (which is not lapstitch). Trimming is cosmetic. Do what looks the best to you (though you should listen to Laszlo and hspira if they respond)!   

I actually bought more fiberglass and covered the entire hull with it up to the gunwhales.  

How about a couple of pics of the fully glassed interior?

Congratulations

Blake, 

Congratulations on you progress up the Passage! I'm envious. 

Hope the the rest of you trip is smooth sailing up the Lynn to Skagway!

Happy Trails, 

Bob

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.