Filling / dookie schmutz

So we're at the fairing/sanding stage on our first wood strip kayak (Great Auk Double). With some gaps in the stripping, I started filling with dookie schmutz as Nick advises in his book. Where I've done so, the epoxy has bled some into the surrounding wood. Do I need to sand through this and get back to bare wood, or, when I glas and epoxy the boat, will it blend in once the rest of the wood absorbs some epoxy?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Filling / dookie schmutz

if its just epoxy and not epoxy/woodflower....you should be fine.

a quick way to find out and a way to ease the glassing step is to put a seal-coat of epoxy on the hull prior to glassing.  if it looks fine after the seal coat...you are good to go.  if it was dookie schmutz.....you will see the discoloration and can sand it back prior to the glassing.

h

RE: Seal coat

Thanks, H. Since it was dookie schmutz, I'll do some more sanding to avoid a potential problem.

Question for the group on the seal coat: We stripped the hull, flpped it, stripped the deck, and have no faired and sanded the deck - do you recommend doing a seal coat now, before flippling to fair the hull? I know we'd have to sand it before glassing, but will the provide and protection/strength to the deck in the meantime?  My plan has been to glas the hull after sanding, before flipping again to glas the deck.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.