Dory Lazy Jacks 2

I'm getting my parts list together for the dory lazy jacks and lines led aft as previous discussed. My question is - does size really matter. The halyard lines going thru blocks and cam cleats can be 5/16" or 3/8". The only 1/4" line needed is the double line going thru the mast head which is then attached to a thicker halyard. The side triangles of the jacks can be anything also. I'm looking at different vendors for the blocks and cams and would like to buy from one source to save on shipping fees. Moonchasers pictures and Lazlo's description of jacks give me the conceptual understanding. Am I splitting hairs between 5/16" and 3/8" line. Will it come down to whatever feels better in my hand while sailing?

Parts list  2 fairleads, 3 pulleys, 3 camcleats, 1 single block for yard, cheek block on mast, racelite tiller extension, 7/8" rubber clip. different colored line and thickness for rigging lazy jacks and modified sail handling.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Dory Lazy Jacks 2

>>Am I splitting hairs between 5/16" and 3/8" line?

Yes. Lazy jacks aren't as critical as other lines because they mostly do static, not dynamic, support of relatively light loads, so either size will work.

>>Will it come down to whatever feels better in my hand while sailing?

Not even. Unlike a sheet, most of the time the lazy jacks are untouched. Think of them more as a kind of halyard. On a normal trip I touch them twice.

Laszlo

RE: Dory Lazy Jacks 2

Ah...a noble question.   After using mine last summer I can tell you the confusing mess of lies in the bottom of the boat when the jacks are let out to allow the boom to drop to the floor is an important issue. SO....I'd suggest to err on the side of whatever line is the least likely to tangle.

Curt

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.