Nymph Canoe - Tumblehome

I'll start this post by saying, I know this is probably a stupid post... but I'm having trouble with the tumblehome section of the Nymph canoe.  I've stripped the canoe through the tumblehome section but now have to trim the strips to fit the first hull strip.  I started to trim and realized that I made a mistake - so had to pull two strips off and need to start over.  I'm nervous... so, I was hoping someone could provide some insight and advice on how to trim the strips along the tumblehome to accept the next strip. 

How do I find the proper line to trim to?  What tools should I use?  Any information is appreciated... no matter how elementary it might be.

I'm struggling... please help!

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Nymph Canoe - Tumblehome

Ryan,

i do a lot of strip building but have not built a canoe....just kayaks.  i would suggest that you take a picture of what you are doing/the problem area, and post your question and picture at http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Building/index.cgi

this is the guillemot buliders forum and the site and it is almost 100% inhabited by talented strip-builders....lots of them   i suspect they will have a lot to say to help you.

howard

I did the strips on my Nymph last year, and am now returning to it after a hiatus.

If I am interpetting your question, you are concerned with getting the sheer line between the tumblehome and hull proper correct.

You see that the sheer is marked on your templates. My problem - perhaps yours - is getting that marking from the template to someplace visible on the outside of the strips in place. What I remember doing is taking a small drill (1/16?), and drilling from the inside, where I could see the sheer marks, through the strips. Then I drew lines between the little holes, sawed down to 1/8th inch away, then finished with a plane. The edge next to the template is a littel tricky I happen to have a rabbet plane. If you don't, careful work with a sharp chisel will do it.

There are probably easier ways to get the sheer line where you can see it, and we hope someone on the forum will chip in.  I can see that this wouldn't be a problem with a hybrid - the plywood is a preformed edge at the sheerwater.  On a closed kayak, what would be the tumblehome rises to the deck, and the tricky place is where the sides meet in the middle of the deck. Maybe canoes are different in this way from decked boats.

Drop us another note as needed. It's great boat-building weather here in New England - 15 degrees and windy!

I just finished a nymph 12. I took a strip and clamped it on the side of tumble home and eyeballed the point on forms and kept it a little high, marked it and cut it with a vibratory cut off tool trying to keep the cut angle right for the transition. Then planed and sanded with a sanding block and just worked a few forms at a time using a short piece of strip as a guide to get it down to the right place. I tried to do the transfer of the mark as it is shown in the plan or the book( don't remember which) and just didn't like my results so I winged it and it worked for me

Ryan

I built 2 Nymphs here in UK last year and like you struggled with tumblehome detail

The more I read the instructionsthe worse it got so built my boatsa without tumblehome- its only a small area and i can't see it making any real difference.

If you want to see what they look like please send your e-mail to me at [email protected] and I will sen photos

Derek Blay

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.